Friday, January 16, 2009

Early Morning Ramblings

As I begin my newest addiction, I am sure, I thought that I would let anyone who is reading this know a little bit about me.

On September 28, 2008, I was blessed with the birth of my first child, Troy Carter Miller. His story is one that is not the simplest, but he is truly loved and that is all that matters. Troy's father (Chan) and I have had a back and forth relationship for approximately eight years now. We have had our rough spots, but we are happy together now and have plans for a marriage once I am finished with school. When I found out that I was pregnant, Chan and I weren't actually together, but as time went by and a crazy ex-girlfriend finally became an ex for good, we were able to move on and become each others' support and strength. I can truly say that no matter how badly the day has been, when I come home to my family...things get better.

Right now we are currently living with my family on our 100+ year old farm. Although this is a very stressful situation at times, it is helping us get on our feet. We are anxiously waiting for the time to come when we are able to move out.

Chan moved down here in October after finishing his time at a previous job. He is still searching for a new job besides everything that needs to be done on the farm. He had some interviews and dropped off applications yesterday and I am holding my breath waiting to hear something back!

Right now, we are working on updating some things around the farm. However, with the current -20 degree wind chills we are having here in Illinois, it has been very difficult to get a lot done. As soon as the weather allows the ground to soften up, Chan will be back working on building new pens and pastures.

Besides each of us having our separate cattle, we were given the opportunity to purchase 4 bred cows, 2 open heifers, and two open cows on credit from a man who has been like a second grandfather to me. The open cattle are currently on our farm and the bred cows are still on his farm until we get the fencing all re-built. So for now we are bouncing between two farms to do chores. We are also starting calving here at DWI Shorthorns. January 8th brought our first heifer calf of the year and boy-o-boy does she look nice. We have another cow in the barn currently waiting to calf and another one getting ready by the middle of February.

Chan and my farm operation will eventually be MCC once we are settled and on our own, but until then it is just the herd prefix.

What else....well due to the early nature of this blog, it becomes apparent that I was awakened by my wonderful son. He has just started teething this week and this will be the reason that we never have another child. We will just have to settle with nieces and nephews from here on out!

School starts back on the 20th and I have mixed feelings about returning. On the bright side, it is my second to last semester as an undergrad....however there are four more semesters of grad school until I am able to have a real career and making real money! I can't wait for that day to come.

Well....the sleep deprivation is starting to kick in and I am tired of listening to the lady on GemTV describe beautiful rings! It is time to go back to sleep...the sofa is calling my name.

Until next time.....stay warm and safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment